return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 14 yr.old cat not responding well to kittens

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: syllagirl at Sun Jul 31 22:29:04 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by syllagirl ]  

I was very happy to read this post. I felt ready to give up after two weeks as well. And I think that I have suffered the most compared to the cats. I feel bad for the old one as well as for the little one

We have a nine year old female whom we adopted 4 months ago. After about 2 months of hiding she decided we were safe, spent a lot of her time around us, following me around everywhere, and sleeping by my feet. But she also seemed quite down from time to time as she did spend a lot of time alone during the day due to us working full time. When we adopted her, she was a retired breading cat and she was surrounded by about 12-15 cats. So we recently adopted a kitten, thinking she had so many kittens taking away from her, and having been surrounded by many cats, its shouldn't be too bad.

It's now going on the 4th week and the old cat can tolerate the little kitten being in the same room but not close to her; Maybe a minimum of 3 feet away depending on her mood. The little one is extremely persistent, and keeps on trying to get close to her all the time, but she always gets hissed and growled at. She also quite often gets batted by the old one. She never uses her claws and many times, she just bats her paw right in front of the kitten. The kitten always rolls on her back in a submissive position. We always supervise. The poor kitten sleeps alone at night as we want to leave at least one spot (our bed) as the old ones own place. I never pay attention to the little one when the older one is around (my husband does instead as the older one is attached to me), and I do give the older one tons of attention. I also wash my hands after petting the little one, before I interact with the older one…

I must say that I am a little bit surprised how the older one has reacted, especially after being around so many cats before. But one thing is for sure, she is no longer bored…

Because I read on her that it usually takes 4months to 1 year, we have decided to stick it out as well. But I hope things turn around sooner than later, because it pretty hard on us 

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: 14 yr.old cat not responding well to kittens - Casseybug, Wed Jun 8 19:50:32 2005