return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New puppy chases cats!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: katieb at Fri Jan 20 15:58:29 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by katieb ]  

Hi! I had a similar problem a few years ago when I brough home a new kitten. I have two dachshunds that were already living with my cats, but the new kitten was terrified of the dogs and would run and hide. This sparked the prey drive in the dogs, and they chased her. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep the new kitten Pebbles, so I had an animal behaviorist come to the house to work with us. What I did was walk around the house with a treat bag on my hip at all times. (You can even use the puppy's kibble so he/she doesn't get too many treats.) Whenever the kitten would appear, I would ask the dogs to look at me and give them a treat if they paid attention to me rather than the kitten. The dogs soon learned that paying attention to my every move was much more gratifying than chasing Pebbles.

Once the dogs stopped chasing Pebbles, she had a chance to become comfortable in her new home with her new brothers and sisters. In a few short weeks, she was playing with the dogs' tails. Now, she will lie right smack in the middle of the floor even when the dogs are running around.

It does take patience, but the key is to teach the puppy to respect the cats. They don't deserve to be chased in their own home. Best of luck!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  New puppy chases cats! - LiquidOnyx, Mon Jan 9 15:18:08 2006 image in post *HOT TOPIC*