return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: new kitty in december

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Thu Oct 4 14:53:28 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi There,

Concats on your upcoming new addition!

I am owned by 10 precious felines so yes, I do know the feeling well. I'm a tech in a cat hospital and most of my babies have come from there, so be prepared.......lol

Anyway, the key to introducing cats is to do it slowly but you already know that. Ideally, the new addition should have his own room for at least a week. This would allow the 2 cats to get used to each other's smells under the door first. I think it's a big advantage to know beforehand that both cats are used to being around others and you already know the purrsonality of the new one. Males tend to be more easygoing so I think the introduction should be fairly easy. The girls seem to be much more emotional about such things.

Of course, there will probably be some hissing and growling, but unless there is actual fighting I usually just let the cats work things out themselves. Your 2 boys will have to decide who is the top cat, unless it's very obvious that the resident cat already has that spot.

What I have done when I know a new baby is coming home with me is handle the new kitty right before I come home so my resident cats can start getting used to the new smell. This seems to help, plus I always come home smelling of the hospital so they are all used to that. All of my introductions have gone very well and I usually don't isolate the new one. I already know all of my cats do fine with new additions, and am aware of the health of the new one. Even the last cat I adopted, Ray, who is blind, made himself at home right away. Of course he already knew me, which helped tremendously, and I have another blind baby who walks into the other cats at times, so they are used to that.

Take care, and please feel free to post again anytime

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: new kitty in december - missinviz, Fri Oct 5 08:08:51 2007

<< Previous Message:  new kitty in december - missinviz, Wed Oct 3 22:51:52 2007