return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

At wits' end with older male

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jenna_newmum at Sun Jul 13 15:55:22 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jenna_newmum ]  

Greetings!

I am hoping someone can offer assistance with a problem developed by my mum's oldest cat, an 11 year-old neutered male Maine Coon. Puss has begun to have intermittent bowel problems, which is not only frustrating for him, but also for the humans in the household (as a pregnant woman, it's vexing for me to have to ask someone else to help clean the cat's mess, and doubly so when I'm the only person home). Most of the time he defoecates in the litterbox, but occasionally will just let go wherever he happens to be. He also occasionally experiences very loose stools, and when this happens, even if he's defoecated in the litterbox, he will remove himself to a carpet and scoot his rear over the floor covering. And finally (as if that wasn't enough, poor Puss!), he only covers his foeces from time to time - and my goodness, do they reek!

Factors that may come into play: my mother also owns an 8 year-old female Maine Coon (Molly). We feed them Fancy Feast, a half-tin each every morning and evening, but Puss usually scarfs half of Molly's. They also have unlimited access to dry food (Whiskas, usually) and fresh water. Puss is quite large, though I understand this may be normal for an older neutered male. He weighs about 12-15 pounds. Molly is quite slight, weighing in at perhaps 7-8 pounds. Neither cat is an outdoor cat, but apart from my room and the soon-to-be nursery, they've the run of the house.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: At wits' end with older male - MunchieScrunchie, Sun Jul 13 18:02:24 2003