return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: clumping litter controversy

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gocatgo at Tue Feb 24 08:04:10 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gocatgo ]  

>>I've read articles discouraging the use of clay-based clumping litter, because if ingested or inhaled over a long-term period, it can cause medical problems -- irritable bowel, kidney disease, respiratory problems, etc. I've also heard the argument that there are no documented cases of cats getting sick or dying from ingested litter.
>>
>>I'd like to know what you all think about that.>>>

I've heard of it but don't know if it's true. I've also heard of kittens injesting it and then it clogging up in their system, causing death. In a way, it does sort of make sense that it could happen because kittens are likely to lick their paws to clean them. If the paws had litter on it, they could ingest it that way. And the litter is supposed to harden and form a clump so it makes you wonder what would happen if the cat/kitten ingested it.

I've used Feline Pine with my four cats since 1998 and have no problem with it. The cats use it and to me, it smells so much better than those other litters. I've heard that many cats don't like the feel of the pellets though so it's not for everyone. Also the cats don't really cover their stools too much with the Feline Pine which is fine with me because it's easier to pick out and flush down the toilet rather than to have to dig through a littler box looking for the stools. I'm really surprised that your cat doesn't like World's Best Cat Litter. It's about the best cat litter on the market, IMHO, soft for the kitties and doesn't leave a urine odor like most of the others do. The only drawback that I can think of with that litter is the price. With 4 cats, I find Feline Pine to be a little more cost effective for my needs and it works fine.

Maybe you could post this question on the Ask the Holistic Vet board on this forum and see what he says about the clumping litter. I'd be curious to learn his thoughts on it too.

-----
Ruby and the Kitties
Simba, Samantha, Katrina & KatyKatt
Meow!! Meow!! Meow!! Meow!!

How wonderful to do nothing and then rest afterwards. Meow!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: clumping litter controversy - nikita555, Sat Feb 28 14:03:32 2004

<< Previous Message:  clumping litter controversy - nikita555, Fri Feb 20 00:24:25 2004 *HOT TOPIC*