return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I'm about to give up on her

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: birmangirl at Tue Nov 2 21:06:37 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by birmangirl ]  

I have never heard of Buspar... I will ask my vet. I am serious about keeping her as I made that commitment to her when I adopted her. I am concerned that if I give her up for adoption another family may have the same problems that I am having, but not be as patient or as understanding as I have been... It's actually more stressful of a situation then it seems...
I'm not too convinced the Feliaway will work since it's supposed to mimic "happy scents" Calista sleeps on my bed, she cuddles on my bed... she will even sleep where she peed the previous night (after being cleaned) so I don't think she gives a hoot about "happy smells" This lil kitty is givin me a run for my money!

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Tue Nov 2 20:53:59 2004

It sounds like Calistra does have a behavioral problem.

Have you talked to the vet about using Buspar? This often works better than Prozac for marking behaviors. Calistra is probably marking your bedding to show the other cats that you are HERS!

Give the Rescue Remedy and the Comfort Zone plug-in a try and see if things improve. If you are serious about keeping her, an animal behaviorist might be able to help you. Talk to your vet about a recommendation.

It just might be that Calista needs to have a home where she is the only cat. This happens. If so, giving her up to a no-kill shelter or to another adoptive family might be the kindest thing you could do for her.

>>The story is as follows:
>> I wanted to adopt a nice, social cat to keep my others company... and then there was Calista. Calista is a 2yr old stray that I got from a local shelter. The shelter grossly misrepresented her and claimed she was social, liked other animals, and was an otherwise 'normal' cat. At the time I adopted her she was 10 months old, so fairly set in her ways already. After having her home I realized she was skitish, afraid of EVERYTHING, and really didn't appreciate having other cats around... she is down right mean. I called the shelter concerned about her behavior and it was only then that they told me she was an abuse rescue... which explains the skitish, and that she was then put on the street which explains the other cat on my turf mantality...
>> So now I have at 2 years old, a skitish, mean to my other cats, but otherwise a complete love... that pees on my bed! She pees on my bed if I am gone for more then a day. She pees on my bed if she feels like she isn't getting enough attention... she pees on my bed for whatever reason. I have gone through countless mattresses, sheets, and even pillows! I use Natures Miracle, and I scrub and air out my mattress... however this being the 3rd day in a row I am out of blankets, out of pillows and pretty peeved that I have to sleep on my couch all because she has choosen my bed as her pee spot.
>> She only urinates, never deficates on my bed it is driving me nuts. I really do not have the patience for this type of behavior. I have tried everything I know of, the vet even tried putting her on prozac -it didn't help. It is not a health issue, it's strictly behavior. I have recently strongly considered putting her up for adoption or taking her to a non-kill shelter. I do not have the money to continue buying new bedding... and now a new mattress because this one has been peed on so many times. I do not have the energy to continue sleeping on a love seat and trying to work full time... this is my last resort. I love my kitty, I HATE her behavior! I don't want to have to give her up, any suggestions? I'm at my wits end with Calista! P.S. her photo is enclosed (isn't she so cute!)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  peeing on my bed - kailin120288, Sat Nov 13 15:37:41 2004
<< Previous topic:  cat eating cat litter - briannescat, Wed Oct 27 11:17:35 2004