return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Really could use some advice!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Kristi62870 at Sun Dec 12 19:45:15 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kristi62870 ]  

Hi everyone!

I had no where to turn, so I thought I'd try a cat message board. My hubby and I have a 14 year old domestic cat. She is our baby and within the last year we have been having litterbox problems. There have been very few times that she has defecated outside the litter box and we have almost determined that she does this even when the litter box has the slightest bit of odor in it. We think maybe since she is considered an elderly cat that she is more finicky. However, she will NOT use the litterbox to urinate! We just got finished with a bevy of tests at the vet to determine if she had some medical problems and the only thing they found was that something concerning her liver was elevated. The vet didn't seem to think anything of it and didn't offer any advice on what effects this might have.

We have NEVER changed her litter...she has used Fresh Step litter since she was a baby and will not even touch anything else.

She doesn't urinate in places like the furniture or middle of the floor and she definitely isn't spraying (she squats) and she doesn't do it in front of us very often, so we've almost ruled out a behavioral problem. She will go in corners or against the woodwork or close to furniture. The smell is awful in our house and we are in the process of trying to remove the smell with black lights and enzyme cleaners. (And logically I know the only way to truly get rid of the smell is rip up the carpet and get rid of the cat). She is truly our baby since we have no children and it just breaks our heart to think of putting her down if we can't get this problem resolved.

My question is this: Does anyone have any ideas to help with showing her to urinate in the litterbox again? Is this something common in elderly cats? Why on earth would she choose to only defecate in the litterbox and not urinate in there!?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kristi

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Litterboxes - SpookyScales, Sat Dec 18 11:15:21 2004
<< Previous topic:  Please help..!! - DancingBunny18, Sun Nov 21 18:01:50 2004