return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Litterboxes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHMadameAlto at Sun Dec 19 22:56:31 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHMadameAlto ]  

>>Hey Everyone! I've been looking at litterboxes, and there's quite a few to choose from! Has anyone heard of the Purrformance automated litterbox by Petmate, if so, have you heard good/bad things about it? Do you reccommend automated or regular litterboxes, and why?

I do not trust automated boxes for several reasons:

First is the startle factor - sometimes a cat will get into the box AFTER the sensor goes off and the box starts to clean. Cat in question is traumatized.

Second is the sticking factor - I've heard many complaints from people who have had trouble with jamming and sticking and gumming up the works.

Also, what brand of litter do you use, and have you had good results with it?

I enjoy the Everclean found at Petco. This is a really hard-clumping litter and doesn't seem to track very much.

At what age can you start using clumping litter? What kind of litter should you use with kittens, since you can't use clumping? I would not use clumping litter for any cat under the age of one year. I had a cat with renal failure and she peed so much that clumping litter got out of hand - I was scooping BOULDERS daily. I used Tidy Cat with great success, just scooping the poop and changing the litter when it seemed to smell bad and look damp.

For larger cats (like ragdolls), are hooded litterboxes a common problem?

I have a fairly large cat and he has no problem with a covered litterbox.
Any websites on the topics would be appreciated! Thanks so much, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
>>
>>SpookyScales
-----
Smile, it will make them wonder what you are up to!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• Litterboxes - SpookyScales, Sat Dec 18 11:15:21 2004 *HOT TOPIC*
    • You Are HereRE: Litterboxes - PHMadameAlto, Sun Dec 19 22:56:31 2004

>> Next topic:  HOW MANY LITTERBOXES SHOULD ONE HAVE? - NAB219, Tue Dec 21 20:15:15 2004
<< Previous topic:  Really could use some advice! - Kristi62870, Sun Dec 12 19:45:15 2004