return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

My cat doesn't always use his litter box

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Fourka at Sun Apr 9 04:59:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Fourka ]  

My 10 month male kitty has developed a litter box problem. I have him for 3 weeks now and the first few days I locked him in the bathroom during the night with food, water and bed and his litter box to make sure he uses the litter box. Everything went fine and because of excesive miawing, we decided to stop locking him in the bathroom during the nights. He then continued using his litter box normally.
Then, after a week he urinated on our bed. We immiadetely decided to not let him in the bedroom again (because we thought that it was a territorial soiling since we were letting him sleeping with us or something). 5-6 days after that he urinated on the couch. By then we realised that he does that because he has allready defecated in the litter box and because we were sleeping we didn't have the chance to scoop it right a way. The same thing had happened when he urinated on the bed.
Then he did it again and urinated on the couch but without having allready defacated in the litter box. So, we decided to lock him in the bathroom during the night to re-train him. The first night he defacated in the litter box and urinated in the litter box and in his basket bed(with which he is not very familiar, not used it many times). The second night he was really crazy and miawing the whole night, and especially in the morning when I woke up because I heard a big noise of something falling down, and I saw that the kitty had managed to open the door and he had thrown the litter box down (it is not placed in the ground level) in which he had defecated and urinated.
We decided to not lock him in again. The next time he urinated, it was in his litterbox and the next time he defacated was on the couch.
I don't know why he is doing this. He sometimes uses the litterbox and sometimes not and now that he used the couch 3 times he has associated the couch with urinating and soiling. we have tried our best to clean it and put plastic under the couch sheets so that his urine doesn't go in the couch etc.
What should we do? We have thought of some solutions but probably some of you epxerts can help me out with this and advise me to what the best solution might be. We thought of putting his bowl with food on the couch so that he eats there and doesn't use it for urinating and defacating. The other we though is to place another liter box on the couch and gradually move it.
We also realised that he does this when we are not with him. I think that he uses the litter box when we sit in the living room. But when we are sleeping and he is staying in the living room it is more convinient for him to use the couch...

Also, I went to the vet a week ago for a general check up and she didn't say anything about something being wrong with my kitty...should I go again? Other then this problem, he seems perfectly fine.
Some help would be really nice to have from anyone!! So, any advise???
Myrto

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My cat doesn't always use his litter box - PHMadameAlto, Sun Apr 9 21:34:04 2006