return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Help - Cat Pooping Outside Litter Bo

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PFFlyer54 at Sun Nov 15 10:25:37 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PFFlyer54 ]  

There seems to be a sexual element to my kitten's problems.
The sexual part reminds me of a pre-teen who gets excited but can't quite figure out what that excitement is or what to do about it.

My problem started with 2 small kitties, brother & sister. Sister had to be isolated for 2 weeks so they would not tear out each other's stitches. HE got deferred for 2 weeks due to anemia. Although the boy pooed a couple of times, we figured it was due to stress, and not being able to find the litter box. We locked him in the bathroom with food, litter, and a box to hide in, and no more problems.

UNTIL... we tried putting them back together. And, when we let him out of confinement, he found old smells due to a previous cat.

At first contact with the girl, he tried to mount her. She was having none of it. Later, there were two piles where he tried to get it on with her. He also made piles on the sofa - where he had been getting excited over smells from the old cat.

Now, he's in isolation due to getting snipped, and she's going & pooping where ever he pooped before. It's like stereo.

So here's what I'm going to try: putting litter boxes (small bins from the dollar store) everywhere they are marking - and then once they do their business, moving them just a little further away every day. I think I'm going to have to put "samples" in so they know what the bins are for. I am also leaving about 1/2" of water in the tub - where they did it - and a litter box next to the tub with a sample.

I'm keeping my finger crossed.

Since this started happening right before it was time for him to get snipped - I took a sample from the tub to the vet and all there were no problems with it.

These kittens are about 4 months old (yes - they are a little young to get snipped but they were strays from the county shelter, and you can't take them home before they are snipped because the county found out that people who agreed to get them snipped were not complying).

Ironic; because when they asked at the shelter what problems in a cat I could not deal with, I almost put down "pooping for no good reason...."

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Help - Cat Pooping Outside Litter Box - catman1, Thu Jun 29 01:28:49 2006