return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Strange Feline Behavior

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sheilasweeny at Sun Apr 6 19:24:12 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sheilasweeny ]  

Thank you for your input. I agree that the vet is being wonderful throughout all of this.

Ben is 9 years old. I adopted him as a kitten, along with his brother, Jerry. Jerry died last August. Hazel was meant to be company for Ben. She is now 8 months old, and they have been together just over six months. Until a week ago Sunday, they appeared to be getting along well.

I have an appointment tomorrow. At that time, I will probably release her to go to another home. I was not supposed to visit until Monday. However, I called Saturday morning, hoping for an update over the phone. When I spoke with the vet, he asked if I had time to come in and visit, without taking them from the cage. The idea was that I would say "hi" and leave.

When I arrived, Ben was at the back of the cage. Hazel was at the front, pleading for attention. One question I need to ask tomorrow is whether she is always reacting to anyone coming into the room, or if it only happens when I am there. From comments that have been made, I suspect that it is the former. (That would make it easier to allow someone else to adopt her.)
When I put my fingers through the bars of the cage, she wanted all of my attention. When Ben approached, she pushed him aside.
Even when I put fingers from both hands into the cage, she would not allow him easy access. There was no hissing; she just pushed him away. He retreated and looked sad.

She came to me from this vet's office. Ben has had all of his care from this office. The vet states that this is "exciting from a behavioral perspective." However, he admits it is also untested territory for him.

He also says that she is very needy, which I am beginning to see all too well. Benny is a very sweet, mellow giant. He weighs about l8 pounds. I live in a tiny house and separating them would be difficult. I drove away on Saturday thinking it would be best for all three of us if she were placed elsewhere. She is a very engaging animal, extremely healthy physically, has been spayed and is up to date on her shots. I trust this vet implicitly. He is one of the kindest and humanitarian people I have ever known. In a way, it does not surprise me that he is willing to work on this this way. He has helped me through the deaths of two other pets: one from an injection-site fibrosarcoma and the most recent megacolon.
Both times he was wonderful.

Thank you for your interest. This is very difficult.

Sheila

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Strange Feline Behavior - Martisimo, Mon Apr 7 09:20:23 2003

<< Previous Message:  RE: Strange Feline Behavior - MunchieScrunchie, Sun Apr 6 18:58:12 2003