return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Nursing kitten??

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: nannersone at Sat Apr 9 19:35:00 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nannersone ]  

Hi. I have fostered several kittens for an animal shelter. A few of them had similar behaviors. Most of the kittens I fostered were days old when I got them, and I never saw the behavior in those ones. However, now and then I'd get an older kitten (2 to 6 months old) and more than once saw the behavior in them - the kneading and sucking on blankets. One had a thing for my neck! Felt like there was a vampire in the house. Had little kitty hickeys until I convinced him an old sock was better. I always wondered what his adoptive family thought about owning a cat with a "thing" for crew socks! ; p

My guess is that they were removed from their moms before they were psychologically ready. Yes, a kitten can "survive" in the modern world being away from mommy at 8 weeks, but mommy still has a lot to teach them. I always fostered litters together (if they came to our house together) until at least 12 weeks, and would strongly recommend that kittens be left with their moms until 12 weeks so they can learn how to be a cat without becoming neurotic around the edges. Some seem to be ok emotionally with a separation at 8 weeks, but, unless the house is burning down or something, what's another 4 weeks to wait to make sure?

In any event, it's harmless behavior. Just make sure that kitty isn't in any danger of destroying something of value by his/her kneading/chewing/licking/sucking on it.

Good luck!
Tippy's Page

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Bad Potty Habits - tothemtns, Mon Dec 27 13:44:23 2004
<< Previous topic:  Attacking Himself - kittymother, Tue Dec 21 00:50:45 2004