return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Bizzare Chews

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: darnpunk at Thu Feb 10 07:08:15 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by darnpunk ]  

Hello all,

This post is going to be very detailed. I have a female cat around 1 yr and 6 months old, named Merkey. She's a happy cat but recently, me and my family members found out something strange happening to her. She's beginning to chew nothing and look as if she's choking on something.

We know she had furballs before and usually she will just vomit it out. But this time round its totally a different action. Following on, I will describe her behaviour.

Here goes:
Whenever she starts using her tongue, like for cases where she smells food and licks her nose wanting to eat, she will start to chew nothing vigorously and do the choking behaviour. At times, it gets so bad that she will use her paws to like 'dig' out something from her jaws/mouth. Almost looking like she smack herself.

Its going to be quite hard to visualize it through my words but probably one of you ever felt like choking and tried very hard to force it out. This is something that's happening to my cat. I checked her jaws and teeth and nothing seems wrong. She do this very often and its been going on for more than 3 days. I also massage her throat and neck area often hoping to make her feel better.

This choking like behaviour has caused her to stop eating her biscuits and shes going for soft food like tuna meat and sardines instead. Just a few hours ago, she tried to eat wet food (tuna) but only managed to eat only a very very small portion.

This worries us alot and I have no idea if I should bring her to the vet yet hoping it will be a normal thing among cats. It's very hard for me to open up her mouth to really check as she can get quite violent and bite us. And if I were to bring her to the vet, with her violent condition, I bet the vet would sedate her. I do not wish for her to go through anaesthatic again as she looked very upset when she had her spaying last year.

My only possible guesses are she's got ulcer on her lips or the inner parts of her jaw, toothache or something's really stuck on her throat cos shes been trying to force out something.

Have anyone of your cats gone through this? Pls advice. Is there anything I can do to make Merkey feel better?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Bizzare Chews - PHMadameAlto, Thu Feb 10 22:15:06 2005