return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cat chases me, gets wierd scary look on face right before bed EVERY night.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ZanneMarie59 at Thu Jun 2 16:06:38 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ZanneMarie59 ]  

What you are experiencing is not at all weird or crazy. This is actually typical cat behavior and is indeed referred to as the night crazies (although my cats also do this in the morning and the evening and all hours inbetween). This is cat play to hone their hunting skills and burn off energy, which every indoor cat needs to do. You have two choices here: 1)Follow Alto's excellent suggestions to divert this play, but this will take patience since you have made yourself the "prey" and the cat may still launch at you rather than the toy. (Remember, cats don't play with dead prey, so stop running and do not respond at all if attacked). 2)Get your cat a cat pal which is the best option. I go through this with adopters all the time. Everyone thinks one cat is easier than two until they realize they will have to function as the "other cat." Getting a pal gives your cat someone who will appreciate this behavior and who won't mind biting your cat's ear when it gets out of hand (I don't expect you are going to do this.) and teach it some manners. It will also keep your cat in shape over the long run. Finally it will stop your cat from being lonely when you are going. Often cats overreact when their people get home because they are bored so many hours of the day. And yes, everyone who has taken this advice and adopted the right friend for the cat (for the cat, not themselves)has stopped being attacked by their first cat.

If you do adopt a cat as a friend, pick a complementary personality. If you cat is the dominant one, do not get a dominant cat or you will have problems. In other words, do not pick the most gregarious kitten in the litter because that is the dominant one. The best way to play it safe is to pick the kitten or cat who gets along with everyone. It is also just as easy to adopt an adult, if you have a good idea of personality. An adult cat's personality is set, so if it is the submissive one or the get-along-with-everyone one, the cats will be fine. No matter what, if you get a kitten or adult as a friend, separate them for two weeks and introduce slowly. The new cat is overwhelmed by a new place anyway so this is actually the kinder way to bring the new cat in and is not cruel or mean in any way.

Zanne

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cat chases me, gets wierd scary look on face right before bed EVERY night. - oddRA, Sat Apr 21 00:37:02 2007

<< Previous Message:  Cat chases me, gets wierd scary look on face right before bed EVERY night. - sandcat, Wed May 25 14:50:40 2005