return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

General Question about going in Heat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: my2kitties at Fri Sep 9 23:30:31 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by my2kitties ]  

Background - I have 2 kittes, both aproximatly 6 months old. Kudzu, a mostly Siamies (SP?), was found by my son buried in Kudzu (hence her name) when she was about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks old. Her eyes were matted shut with plant sprores and she was in very poor shape. I used a barbie comb to clean her eys and carried her to the vet the next day. She weighed less than 1/2 a pound and was not expected to live through the night. But because of the amazing tech's at the vet who took her home with them every night for a week she did survive though it was touch a go and even when they said I could pick her up she was very frail and developled her skill very slowly. To this day she is very tiny, pretty much blind in one of her eyes (from the plant spores) and the other eye is scared. They belive she has feline herpes virus which cause additonal damaged to her eye and keeps her sneezing.

The day I picked her up, another abandoned 3 week old kitten had been found by one of the techs. I figured Kudzu need a playmate so she wouldn't be lonley and the other kitten needed a home so when she turned 6 weeks old, Karma came to live with us. She is perfectly healty beutiful long haired Calico kitty.

Question 1: Karma is showing signs of going into heat. Meowing, trying to get out the door, spastic behavior at times. Kudzu however seems the same as ever. Is it possible that because of her tramatic beginings to life and her extra small frame she may not go into heat? I asked beacause it is time to have them spayed. I know Karma needs it very soon since she is always trying to get out and we have to males next door, but Kudzu is terrified of the outside. If you take her out she climbs up your sholders and tries anything to get back to the house. I would hate to spend the money on getting them both spayed right now if Kudzu could be sterile.

Question 2: Can a vet determine if a cat is sterile?

Sorry this is so long and thanks for any light you may be able to shed!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: General Question about going in Heat - JaimeMarie, Sat Sep 10 09:09:27 2005