return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Fear of visitors

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chatanuga at Sun May 27 00:57:31 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chatanuga ]  

Had a not so good experience tonight with Chessie.

The Saturday before Easter, I took him with me up to my parents' house for the day. He did really well and warmed up to them and my brother, even curling up on their laps and falling asleep.

Today, my parents, my brother, and a friend of my brother came down to my place to take me out to dinner. Chessie had been sleeping when they arrived. They came in, and he basically panicked, which kind of surprised me since he'd met them before. Granted, it was seven weeks ago. This was also the first time since I got him that I've had visitors.

He first bolted behind the couch to hide. Realizing these people were still in the same room, he then took off into the kitchen, hiding under the table. After a while, I was able to coax him out from under there while everybody else was in the living room. He let me pick him up, and I slowly walked into the living room with him, where he again panicked and bolted back out to the kitchen, hiding behind the refrigerator.

After a while, we went to go to dinner. I had everybody else go outside to wait for me, and I was able to coax Chessie out with some treats. I got him settled in his kennel. He tensed up when we first went into the living room, but he calmed when he saw everybody was gone.

We then got back, and he stayed in his kennel after I opened it, obviously too afraid to come out with everybody there. We went to another room for a while, and when we came back, he again went behind the refrigerator to hide.

After everybody headed back home, I tried coaxing him back out from behind the refrigerator. At one point, he got to the front of the fridge and then decided to go back into hiding. I left some treats out for him, and about 45 minutes later, I looked into the kitchen and saw him cautiously coming out. For the next hour, he started going about his usual routine but was quite jittery, nervously looking around everywhere he went. He's since gone back to his usual self, although he has spent a lot more time than usual curling up on my lap or laying against me on the couch.

Undoubtedly, he was spooked at having new people come into his home, even though I was expecting him to remember my parents and brother. How should I prepare him for the next time I have a visitor(s)?
-----

Chessie in his favorite spot while I work in the kitchen.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Fear of visitors - PHKitkat, Mon May 28 00:09:14 2007