return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Feline Kidney Disease

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Deerhounds at Sat Mar 22 17:24:16 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Deerhounds ]  

I am always sorry that cat people seem less involved with holistic care than dog people, as I have seen more benefits to my cats than my dogs with the holistic approach. It was my cat Chuck who first set me on the holistic path in January of 1986, and the improvement in my cats' health that I saw as I switched them to homemade raw diets was overwhelming, MUCH more so than with the dogs.

While it's not uncommon to hear some dissent on the subject of treating kidney disease in cats today, ten or fifteen years ago it was not common. The typical prescription was low protein commercial diets, preferably a prescription diet kibble. I had a senior cat at that time who was diagnosed with early kidney disease... but remember, the kidney values don't start showing signs of a problem until the kidneys have lost 70 percent of their function!

His conventional vet wanted him on a low protein diet, but I took a chance and instead fed him a high quality diet that was not at all low in protein. I was working with a holistic vet, and it was a long, long time ago so I don't recall all the details, but he was also being treated with herbs and supplements. He lived to be 19 years old and his kidney values never budged an inch in all that time.

I adopted a 14 year old rescue cat in kidney failure two and a half years ago. In the beginning he needed frequent sub-Q fluids, he needed most of his teeth removed, and he was treated by my homeopathic veterinarian. But today he is symptom-free, his kidney values are not worsening, and he's fluffy and happy and active at around 16 and a half. I have always fed him a high quality protein diet, the same diet I am feeding my other healthy cat.

I think it would be very beneficial for all who have renal kitties to at least talk to a holistic vet before heading down the prescription foods route. A great homemade diet and the care of a good holistic vet might make more difference than anything else you can do.

Also, I would think long and hard before ever vaccinating a renal cat. There is some evidence that suggests feline renal disease may be caused by feline vaccines (citation below) - and in any case, vaccines are licensed for use in healthy, clinically normal cats only.

Food for thought.

Parenteral Administration Of FVRCP Vaccines Induces Antibodies Against Feline Renal Tissues.
MR Lappin, WA Jensen, R Chandrashekar, SD Kinney
From the Department of Clinical Sciences (Lappin), Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO and the Heska Corporation, Fort Collins CO (Jensen, Chandrashekar, and Kinney).
"Chronic renal failure is a common cause of death in cats. Lymphocytic/plasmacytic interstitial nephritis is common histopathologically, suggesting immune-mediated reactions may play a role. Feline herpesvirus 1, calicivirus, and panleukopenia virus for use in feline vaccines (FVRCP) are commonly grown in Crandall-Reese Feline Kidney (CRFK) cells.... Administration of FVRCP vaccines SQ to cats can induce antibody responses to CRFK proteins and feline renal tissues."
-----
Christie Keith
Caber Feidh Scottish Deerhounds
Holistic Husbandry since 1986
Meet the Felines!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Feline Kidney Disease - meow2me, Sun Mar 23 12:04:01 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Feline Kidney Disease - tabbypoodle, Wed Apr 2 01:33:38 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: Feline Kidney Disease - tourmalinequeen, Mon Dec 1 17:01:57 2003