return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Lost Opportunity

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: MunchieScrunchie at Wed Sep 3 19:41:39 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by MunchieScrunchie ]  

>>I would like to attempt to trim my two cats' nails and am having some major apprehension about doing this. I have a female who is about 1yr and a male who is about 5 mos. They have very different temperaments: Molly, the 1yr old, is very timid about being touched around the paw area. Only rarely, when she is extremely relaxed and sleepy - does she let me handle her paws. She has actually developed a skin eritation on the pads of her front paw (we suspect from overgrooming) and needed to have a powdered medication applied to help it heal. This might be why she is so hesitant to let me handle her paws. Ziggy, on the other hand is so relaxed and slack, and therefore easy to handle. He loves to get his paws stroked. I am more nervous about Molly. I would probably entertain the option of taking Molly to the vet to have it done - but worry that even they would not be able to handle her; and might suggest anesthetizing (hope not). Any suggestions? Also - other than the potential to shred furnitute or clothes - does NOT clipping their claws do more harm to a cat?

Supply plenty of scratching posts and you shouldn't have a problem. Get Ziggy started now on the nail trimming while he is young. You should start on tooth brushing too. Molly may le you handle her paws more once her irritation clears up. I have one cat who had frostbitten pads when I rescued him and he is very paw shy now. So I have to have hubby hold him firmly while I grasp the paw and trim the nails. I do get whopped quite a bit. LOL. Not trimming the claws will allow them to get very long and curved under and easily snagged on clothes and furniture and carpeting and can cause the cat to pull nail out. Not to mention their sharp claws digging into soft flesh. Ouch. I do keep my cats claws trimmed. We have grooming sessions every 2 weeks. I have never seen a cat need to be anesthesized for claw trimming. The vet or vet techs know how to properly restrain the cat while trimming.
-----
Dottie
Proudly owned by The Catnip Crew...Munchkin,Casey,Maddie,Harley,Meadow,Ashley,Nicky and Mushka

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Lost Opportunity - brenalm, Tue Sep 2 14:26:06 2003