return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Poor little blind kitten!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: harijaye at Mon Aug 16 01:13:19 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by harijaye ]  

On July 5th my brother brought home this scrawny little black and white kitten. He found her on the side of the road, I guessed she was about 2 weeks old, and she was pretty sick, upper resp. infection, eyes stuck closed and swollen but I took her in and started the mothering process. I bought kitten formula and started her on antibiotics and eye drops. I was really concerned that she might not make it. But after about a week she was doing pretty good, except her eyes, the conjuntivitis had cleared but her eyes were still bad. So I made a trip to our vet and he confirmed my fears, she was blind. I was so disappointed, but he gave me my options. I really wasn't prepared to keep another cat, I have 3, plus 1 dog and a ferret, and my brother and his family are living with us and they have 2 dogs 2 cats and a ferret. The vet said I could "put her down" or keep her inside, well I just didn't have the heart to put her down, not after trying so hard to save her, but I hadn't planned on keeping her either, and now who would take in a blind kitten? So I took her home and my husband asked what the diagnosis was and I told him and he said we would just keep her inside, it was not fair to euthanise her because she was blind. Needless to say I was very happy. So we knew she would need surgery eventually, and she ended up having emergency surgery 3 weeks before it was scheduled, that was 2 weeks ago, the vet removed her eyes. And now she is just as happy as she can be, she amazes us daily with her abilities, and though I have had a couple of negative comments, most of them are quite positive. I really didn't know what to expect, but now after seeing her in all her glory, I have no regrets, I have a rambuctious,precious little life to care for, and now after 6 weeks of having her I wouldn't trade her for any sighted kitten in the world. We've named her Frannie and she is quite a joy, and though it's not for everyone, I certainly am very happy that she is a part of our lives.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Food allergies-long, but please help!! - stryder, Tue Aug 17 13:47:06 2004
<< Previous topic:  FeLV and Interfon - Ellen54, Sat Aug 14 22:04:44 2004