return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: p.s. forgot to write...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cyclopsgrl at Thu Nov 11 03:55:49 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cyclopsgrl ]  

I had written out a reply and it disappeared... This may show up twice...

Stanley (13) had a hyperthyroid scare last year. The vet thought he had it and we discussed options while we waited on the T4 numbers to come back (thankfully, he did not have it).

You mention surgery and medication. My vet encouraged a third option. I believe it was called Radioactive Iodine Injection/Treatment (or something of that nature). Is the most effective and highest success rate of all three methods. 90-something percent effective rate -- one treatment generally equals total fix of the problem. However, it is also the most expensive. I believe it runs about $1,000 (to give you an idea, although, regions vary). The cat basically has a shot in the thyroid and then sits for about 5 days at the clinic to be watched and primarily because it is radioactive (safety laws, etc.)

Stanley was younger, it may or may not be adviseable for your cat. If you don't feel your cat will do well away for a week, another concern.

But, it is more effective than the surgery, as my vet explained. Also less invasive, etc. Stanley is/was relatively young and she said medicating for years can be costly and a hassle. Surgery isn't 100%. This third option was quick, fairly easy for the cat, and about 100% cure rate.

However, with your cat being older, you have other concerns to weigh in. I'd discuss with your vet...

You can also find more, as I did, by searching on the web for "Hyperactive thyroid cats" or other similar phrases and the three options pop up pretty commonly in discussions.

Note: My Uncle successfully medicated his Siamese for years for thyroid problems. She passed away at the age of 18, but he had treated her for years...
-----
Tammy
Stanley and Pookey

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereRE: p.s. forgot to write... - cyclopsgrl, Thu Nov 11 03:55:49 2004

>> Next topic:  tense - seter16, Fri Nov 12 13:26:48 2004
<< Previous topic:  is anyone treating a hyperthyroid cat? - janome, Tue Nov 2 19:51:43 2004