return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

FIP

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: luvmypersians at Thu May 19 17:50:20 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by luvmypersians ]  

Looking for uplifting information on FIP. I have three persians which I purchased from a very good closed cattery. I paid between $175 and $250 each for my kittens. I love kittens so I decided to allow mine to have kittens before getting them fixed. I took my cats from 8 weeks of age and had them vet checked and kept them up on all of the shots. I keep them inside only and never allow any other cats inside my home. I clean everything with a mixture of bleach/water. I clean my litter boxes regular and even replace my boxes about once a year. I feed my kittens IAMs moist from 3 weeks on and sometimes suppliment with KMR. I sold some of my kittens for $150 each no shots, no papers. I speak with each person who purchases a kitten and they all agree to get the kittens vet checked and maintain all shots. Well one woman purchased two kittens which she did not get vet checked or shots for. She allowed the kittens outside, took them to pet stores, and homes with other cats. One of the kittens fell ill and was put down due to FIP. I had tests done on the deceased kitten to determine what caused its death. The woman has since failed to get her other kitten in to see the vet. Her vet suggested I have the kittens I currently have under go a test that will cost $75 each and put down any kittens who test positive. Her vet is certain that the FIP came from the mother of the kitten. She wants me to pull these kittens away from the mother now but they cannot be placed in other homes until 8 weeks old. All of the information I have found and local vets including my own state that the test for FIP is not good. Putting down postive kittens would be wrong since any kitten with a the carnovirus would test positive to FIP. I will get all three of my cats fixed regardless of the test results. Any kittens I place I will request an agreement that the kittens be tested and vet advice be followed closely to prevent if possible anything. But how do I know for sure if my female passed this to her kittens? How do I know this poor kitten was not exposed by an outside cat at the womans house? How do I know she does not have other cats in her home that are carriers? I do not want to put down kittens that look and act so healthy? Any advice? I will never ever breed cats or dogs again. I have just cried all day. Anyone else been through this?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: FIP - PHMadameAlto, Sat May 21 23:18:11 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: FIP - bonkelsmeeks, Sun May 22 12:39:57 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: FIP - PHCatByte, Sun May 22 19:20:41 2005