return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cat with recent diagnosis of Diabetes...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Pepper at Sun Aug 7 19:28:31 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Pepper ]  

If Hills has a high protein/low carb diet in dry maybe that would help control her weight better???? She likes chicken....do they have a chicken formula? And do you have to get this at the vet or do pet stores carry it?

Deb,

My vet put Cookie on Hill's Science Diet m/d which comes in both canned form and dry food. To my knowledge, it can only be purchased in a veternarian's office, though. For example, PetsMart carries many varieties of Science Diet cat food but not the m/d which is nicknamed "Catkins" because it is specifically designed for diabetic cats needing high protein/high fiber/low carb diet.

It does not have chicken flavor specifically either; just one type called 'm/d'. Cookie likes the dry m/d food much better than the canned m/d and I sometimes have to mix in a tiny bit of other cat food to get her to eat it. But, she's doing okay. She has not gained back a lot of the weight that she lost initially which is a good thing. It was her overweight problem that led us to the problem of diabetes in the first place and we did not want her to become obese yet again. Her weight has stabilized and we are happy about that.

Overall she is seemingly in very good health right now and while she continues to drink a lot of water and urinate more frequently than my other cats, the vet says that she is improving with the diabetic condition and not to worry.

I wish you well with your cat and the steroid treatments. Keep us all posted on what your concerns are and together we can help and encourage each other on our separate issues.

Thanks for listening and for all that you've done to be of support to me and Cookie. Sincerely, Julie

-----
Pepper (one, fine, little dood)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Cat with recent diagnosis of Diabetes... - kakel, Sat Aug 6 15:15:05 2005