return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: more IBD questions!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Thu Aug 2 18:42:07 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi Lisa,

I took a few notes while reading your post so hopefully I won't forget anything!

IBD is considered to be a progressive disease, which means that it tends to become more severe over time. This is why it can eventually lead to intestinal lymphoma. What might appear to be a sudden flare-up may actually be the eventual worsening of the IBD. As you know, cats are very good at hiding the way they really feel.

Yes, there is a possibility that Sola actually does have lymphoma, but even with a full-thickness biopsy the results can be questionable. I think I would stick with the current treatment and see how your baby does over time.

A radiograph is just another name for an x-ray, so that is one thing you don't have to consider

The steroid budesonide is 15 times stronger than pred, and seems to be used regularly for IBD, although we don't use it where I work. Vets tend to use the drugs that they are most comfortable with and therefore use most often. I would try to find out if over time the steroid will be given every other day instead of every day. This would be much less likely to cause problems over time.

Cardiomyopathy is a tough one. It can be difficult to diagnose and some cats with it are symptom-free. Often it isn't diagnosed unless a necropsy is performed after the cat passes away. I'm paranoid about heart issues also because I had what appeared to be a very healthy 15 year old cat that suddenly developed a heart murmur. After x-rays and tests it seemed that the murmur was what we consider "benign". A few months afterwards Delilah developed heart failure and I had to let her go.

I know what you mean about being nervous about anesthesia, but if the safest type is used (gas)and the cat is well monitored, most do very well. Even though an injection is fine for induction, once the cat is intubated, he or she should be put on a gas/oxygen mixture. A vet that uses injectable anesthesia exclusively is one to be avoided.

Hope this all makes sense and is helpful to you!

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Cat Diabetes - me2you, Wed Jul 4 06:34:39 2007
<< Previous topic:  I got a ?? - Angelchild11511, Thu Jun 21 09:43:55 2007