return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

13 year old calico losing weight

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: frostypaws at Fri Nov 9 09:34:55 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by frostypaws ]  

My calico, Kitty, is 13 years old. She's always been neurotic and grumpy, and the only person she likes is me. Anyway she's been an outdoor cat for most of her life, except for the past couple of years. About 3 months ago she started going outside again. Now in the past few weeks I've noticed she's lost quite a bit of weight, and she's always been a fat cat. I can feel her spine quite easily, and her stomach looks all sunken in. She's also been sneezing and coughing lately, but I thought that could just be allergies (it started when she started going back outside, as did the weight loss). She coughing and sneezing have calmed down a bit, I think maybe because it's started to get colder here (CT).

I'm worried about the weight loss because as I've said, Kitty's always been a big, fat cat. I don't know if she's at a normal weight now or what. Now her face looks pointier, and her bones are noticeable. She sleeps on my bed all the time, and I've noticed too that she twitches and spazzes a lot in her sleep, and that freaks me out and I shake her awake. I don't know if she's always done that and maybe its just freaking me out now with everything else.

My mom said she thinks Kitty hasn't been eating as much. I haven't really noticed because I'm in and out all day with school and work. She gets mostly dry food. Is there something else I should feed her that would get her appetite back up and put some weight on her?

She's going to the vet on Monday, and she hasn't been in years. Now, I'm worried because Kitty would probably rather die than let herself be put in a crate and packed off to the vet. I also fear for the vet's life when he has to examine her! Is there any way I can make this a little less traumatic for her??? And any ideas on the weight loss? Could it just be that she's more active than she was? Thoughts?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 13 year old calico losing weight - PHKitkat, Fri Nov 9 11:57:28 2007