return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 13 year old calico losing weight

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: frostypaws at Mon Nov 12 17:13:58 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by frostypaws ]  

Well, I'm not too happy with the way things went at the vet but...I overestimated Kitty. She was actually a lot better than I thought she'd be, probably because she was scared. But no one got hurt!

He said her temperature was normal, that she was a little dehydrated, and she had fleas (well, duh, I knew that). She got her rabies and distemper vaccines, a pill for her fleas, and bloodwork, which will come back tomorrow.

This was $210. And the vet looked at her for less than 5 minutes. He didn't even introduce himself to me. He didn't tell me the kinds of diseases older cats can get. I mean, I guess they'll know more when they get the bloodwork back tomorrow. But they didn't really give me any information. Like, what COULD it be? What are some problems with older cats? The whole thing just felt so rushed, and I didn't feel like I got any information on what could possibly (if anything) be wrong with Kitty.

They also wanted to do a feline leukemia test, but as I'm a broke college student, I didn't have the money on me for them to do that test. What I'm wondering is how exactly they test for that. They took her blood. Wouldn't they find leukemia in normal bloodwork? Or, if not, shouldn't they wait and see if there were any abnormalities in the bloodwork and THEN test for leukemia? I don't know.

Also when they looked in her mouth, I noticed black spots on her gums, and it definitely looked like a tooth was missing in the back. Could she just have some sort of dental problems? They really didn't remark on that, so maybe its not anything, but then again, they only looked at her for so long.

So, I'm not exactly happy with how it went, but Kitty was surprisingly good about it. I get the bloodwork results tomorrow, and I'm hoping so bad there's nothing seriously wrong with her.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 13 year old calico losing weight - PHKitkat, Mon Nov 12 23:00:26 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: 13 year old calico losing weight - PHKitkat, Fri Nov 9 11:57:28 2007