return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: update/need advice for skinny cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: frostypaws at Mon Dec 3 08:37:38 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by frostypaws ]  

Well, I was at my boyfriends yesterday (about an hour away from where I live) and my mom called and guess where they were with Kitty- the vet! She was supposed to go today, to the place where she originally went, and my mom had asked my dad if they could give me some money towards covering it. Well he started bitching that we have no money, etc. Then he went downstairs, looked at my cat, pinched the back of her neck and declared her dehydrated (he's a nurse) and brought to an emergency vet. 3 weeks ago at the vet she weighed 7.6- this time she was 6.8 (I KNEW she looked skinnier to me). The first thing the vet said was he saw a lot of her symptoms in cats with hyperthyroidism, so they're testing for that. They're also doing more complete blood work, and she stayed overnight and got a 24 hour IV. This vet has been great so far. He talked a lot with my parents, had some ideas about what could be wrong with her, oh and immediately saw how dehydrated she was. The first time, at the other vet, he said she was a "little dehydrated" and now I can't understand why she didn't get fluids then. We called last night to see how she was doing and the new vet told us she was like a different cat- with the fluids, she perked right up. Now he THINKS it may be a flea induced anemia- she was infested with fleas. But we don't know for sure yet, everything should be back by tomorrow I think.

And my dad is really pissed that the other vet saw she was dehydrated and didn't give her any fluids. It's funny to me because when I was younger, my dad must've told me every week that Kitty had to go (she always had problems using the litter box), and now she's sick and he said he couldn't look at her and not do anything for her. I'm beyond relieved they took her to a new vet and we'll find out for sure what's wrong.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: update/need advice for skinny cat - PHKitkat, Wed Dec 5 19:22:42 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: update/need advice for skinny cat - PHKitkat, Mon Nov 26 23:05:50 2007