return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: WHAT TO EXPECT FROM CHEMOTHERAPY, ETC

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Tue Jan 8 13:55:11 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi There,

I am so sorry that you are going through all this with your kitty. I went through something similar with one of my babies.

Most cats seem to do well on Leukeran, although they usually go through good and bad days. Poor appetite and nausea aren't uncommon, although a change in dose often helps. Cats aren't usually on Leukeran daily, at least for the long term, and that makes it easier on them. Some cats cannot tolerate the drug at all, and they are treated with steroids exclusively. Cats that are extremely difficult or impossible to medicare orally are given injectable steroids.

It's true that cats with intestinal lymphoma can live comfortably for years. My Timothy had it for 3 years and it wasn't until the very end that the steroids no longer helped him. He was one who could not take Leukeran, otherwise I might have had him with me longer.

It's very important at this point to keep your cat eating, even if you have to resort to baby foods (with no onion added) or other people foods. No special diet is required, although I think you should feed as high a quality food as you can afford. Try to avoid foods that contain a lot of additives and carbs if you can, as these are irritating to the GI tract. If your cat has diarrhea, hopefully the steroids will keep it under control. The Pepcid should control nausea, although I'm sure your vet can prescribe something else if it doesn't work well enough.

Take care, and please keep us updated on how your kitty does.

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: WHAT TO EXPECT FROM CHEMOTHERAPY, ETC - LKitsch, Tue Jan 8 16:48:24 2008

<< Previous Message:  WHAT TO EXPECT FROM CHEMOTHERAPY, ETC - lkitsch, Mon Jan 7 12:05:42 2008