return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: One binges, the other undergrazes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Martisimo at Thu Apr 10 07:50:28 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Martisimo ]  

Well, I'm really a big fan of scheduled meals. It would be nice if food-mongering didn't occur in multiple cat households, but it does. There are always a few piggish chubs and then those that have better things to do than to eat. I wish I fell into the second category.

Measured meals seem to be the best way for cat owners to not only maintain a good weight on their cats, but also to always be aware of any unusual eating habits that might crop up among multiple kitties. For instance, I knew instantly that something was up with Marvin when he first ate way more slowly than his usual hoover-vacumn rate, then the next meal wandered off leaving a few nuggets in the bowl - because I stand right there washing dishes and watching while they eat.

All but two of my cats eat their food up very quickly. Now my roomate's cat eats in her bedroom alone with the door shut and he's a bit sluggish about eating -- which brings me to my suggestion for your girl: Maybe try the scheduled feeding and leave her in a room with the door shut while she eats. Her own dining room. Admittedly, if she's used to free-feeding, it will take several days for her to change her routine. (God help me if I change the feeding routine at my place -- one little change in the order I fill each person's bowl and it's mass confusion in the kitchen!) But she will have her privacy and won't have to feel the pressure of hoover-ing if she doesn't want to, or have to worry about what's in his bowl.

You could feed her first thing in the A.M., or whenever it is that you're preparing to leave, and she can linger over it (if she wants) while you're getting ready to leave. And then again when you get home and are winding down after your return.

Just one suggestion. I'm sure there will be many others!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: One binges, the other undergrazes - pmantone, Thu Apr 10 14:20:48 2003

<< Previous Message:  One binges, the other undergrazes - karlacue, Wed Apr 9 10:52:44 2003