return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

My cat won't eat!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Beaker at Mon Jun 30 13:51:22 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Beaker ]  

Help!

I am worrying myself sick over my cat right now. He's 2-3 years old right now and after trying to introduce another kitten to our family, things seemed ok. Mooch didn't hiss at the kitten but he did in fact swat her around when she got on his nerves. We got the kitten on a Tuesday and by Saturday evening Mooch was acting as though he was trying to cough up a hairball. Me being the worrier I am thought it was something else, and by Sunday night I knew I was right. Mooch was not himself and still trying to "hack" something up.

When we got to the vet, they suspected something was picked up from the kitten and also mentioned Mooch having a heart murmur. The X-rays showed that he had fluid in his chest and that was what the problem was with the "hacking" noise. They scheduled him to have an echocrdiagram here in another week and a half, and sent us home with Lasix and an antibiotic.

Well, when we went home we got rid of the kitten as per the vet's advice. They suggested that possibly the kitten was added undo stress on Mooch's heart as well and that could have been a contributing factor.

Things were coming along then come Tuesday night Mooch stopped eating. He kept drinking but he stopped eating. I took him back to the vets on Thursday evening and they ended up admitiing Mooch for three days. They said his potasium was down from not eating and that he needed potasium to help with his muscles and heart condition. I called back in the morning to check up on Mooch expecting no progress. They said they managed to get him to eat some wet food and was coming along nicley. They suggested that when we went to visit to bring some of his food from home, which we did and he ate very little while we were there, maybe a few pellets. The vet ended up calling back to say Mooch was ready to come home along with some meds. We brought him home last night. The first thing he did was drink a LOT of water, but no food. He looked around for a bit then took a nice long nap. That was last night at 4:00 and he still hasn't eaten yet, even thoutgh all of his other habits are coming around. I called the vet and they suggested if he's not eating by tomorrow night to bring him back in, but suggested that Mooch is mad at us and that's why he's acting this way.

I hate worrying myself sick over it, but I read all these stories about people having to force feed their cats and I dread the possibility of it. However if he ate for the vet, doesn't it sound more so like he's mad at us, and he'll eventually come around?

He always was a little pig prior to this.....

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My cat won't eat! - brenalm, Mon Jun 30 16:14:24 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: My cat won't eat! - PHMadameAlto, Mon Jun 30 18:54:38 2003
>> Next Message:  RE: My cat won't eat! - Martisimo, Tue Jul 1 08:48:15 2003