return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Raising new borns

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JaimeMarie at Mon Apr 19 17:49:15 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JaimeMarie ]  

I am so glad you were able to get her to the vet so quickly and that she is going to recover just fine. I have cut and paste some of HisGirl's advice on raising kittens. She rescued two last summer they were five days old when she saved them. I am also including a site called Save Haven: it also explains how to hand raise newborns.
Hi,
JamieMarie said you might need some advice. I raised two kittens from 5 days old on and it was pretty crazy at first. Anyway, 3-4 weeks old is good because in a few more weeks Vlad can be on solid food altogether and that's so much easier. At this age he still needs to be on milk somewhat so get a nurser (pointy tip, not round, it works so much better) and some kitten formula and feed him one bottle around every 6 hours (8 hours at night is ok). Introduce wet cat food mashed with formula milk and try to get him to taste it. My kittens really loved the Iams kitten wet food. In a couple weeks to start getting him on dry food, just gradually mix in dry food with the wet.
To teach him to drink out of a bowl instead of a bottle, put formula in the bowl and place a drop on his nose, so he will lick it off, then let him follow your finger with formula on it till his face is above the milk. It takes them awhile to get the hang of it. My kittens would stick their face in there and get it up their nose- cute and pathetic. To this day they like to bat at their water dish (or in the toilet, or the sink) and will often test to feel where the water is before they drink. Hehe.
Litter box training is not hard, they figure it out eventually. Just put a little box (lined with foil if it is cardboard) out with some litter in it and put him in there every time after you feed him. Also pick up any poop outside the box and put it in there. If he keeps going in one area, move the box over there. Eventually it sinks in and they use the box all the time. It takes a little while for them to get full bladder control so even if they know to go in the box they might not always make it there.

Sorry I'm babbling so much. As far as teaching him to play, just provide toys and let him go for it. Have fun dangling things for him etc. I read that kittens needed to learn how to groom too so I followed the advice of a website and wiped them down with a warm washcloth (use the corner to simulate a mother's tongue) whenever they needed it. I don't know if that taught them to clean themselves or if it's just a natural instinct, but they do fine now.
Well hope that helps. I'm sure lots of people have given you tips already. Let me know if you have any questions, good luck!
-Laura
Safe Haven

-----
Jaime owned by
Mya the dog
and the cats:Crash, Moxie, Gabby and sometimes Tucker

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Switching from liquid KMR to powdered KMR was a disaster, now kitten won't eat... - PHMadameAlto, Sun Apr 18 18:57:10 2004 image in post