return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

How to feed my "just found another" orphaned 4 wk kitten

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Pijoto81 at Wed May 5 09:17:45 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Pijoto81 ]  

Hey, me again and I need some more advice about the rather difficult situation I'm in. First I need to explain just how I found the kittens I'm in raising.

When I first found the litter of kittens in the crack of the roof of my house (I noticed them, when one of the kittens was dangling from the opening), I took them down and moved them into the backroom addition of the house (all while the momcat was looking on). At night I left the door open, and the momcat took one of the kittens away, which left me with the other two kittens. One died shortly, probably because it's hind legs were very damaged when I found it, and the other one (the one I just posted about beneath this topic) I've been raising for nearly 4 weeks now and is healthy and happy.

Now to get to the predicament I'm in...I found the other kitten that the momcat took away just yesterday wandering around the front yard. It seems the Momcat has abandoned it, and it's a little too convenient on her part to leave the kitten on our yard (maybe because I've been leaving a bowl of food out for her every night, and once let her sniff her kitten that we're raising...).

The problem is...how do I get him (the other kitten is indeed a male) to eat? It's been a day now, and he refuses to eat anything. How am I suppose to switch a kitten that has been drinking his mother's milk all this time and had no contact with humans, to kitten food cold turkey? What methods and food do you recommened? Is it a lost cause, or should I persevere with trial and error methods? All I'm doing is forcing water down his throat for now...*sigh* Oh, and another note, I had to remove like a dozen fleas off the kitten, when I found him.

BTW, for an update on my other kitten, she's now litter boxed trained, and I couldn't be happier I'll start weaning her on KMR 2nd step formula after my college semester ends. With my busy schedule, I kind of feel like I'm in over my head raising two kittens, one is more than enough...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Can cats have spastic colon? - merlesmomma, Mon May 31 23:46:31 2004
<< Previous topic:  Switching from liquid KMR to powdered KMR was a disaster, now kitten won't eat... - Pijoto81, Sat Apr 17 18:54:19 2004