return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

My Cat was attacked and now won't eat- What can I do?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tigerlilly at Sat Oct 30 18:42:48 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tigerlilly ]  

My 10 year old cat (We estimated her age- found 9 years ago-)was horribly attacked by one of my dogs in my house over 2 weeks ago. I thought she was going to die but after rushing her to the emergency vet and then to my own private vet she has amazingly pulled through. My private vet took x-rays of her jaw because she wasn't closing her mouth properly and he said that her upper top palette was fractured as well as her bottom jaw which was causing the problem. He said he had never seen such a thing and that he would do what he could. Well he put some metal wires in her mouth which are very small and non-obtrusive to keep her jaw in place while it heals and it's definitely working because she's almost completely able to close her mouth and she meows A LOT, and will purr when pet. After 2 days of returning from the vet she seemed great and was even licking at some wet food and drinking water. However, then all of a sudden she stopped eating. Now she will drink water, that has not stopped but she won't eat at all. I've tried tuna fish, every soft wet can food available, even chicken noodle soup- I've tried everything and she won't touch it. Now, she's still drinking but at this point I'm starting to get really scared. It's been over a week and she has definitely lost weight and even though she still meows and purrs, it's not cool that she won't eat anything. I've forced fed her with a syringe a little chicken broth and some wet cat food diluted but it's not enough. And she hates when I do it. My vet said cats can go weeks without eating and not to worry unless she stops drinking water but I can't help but to worry. I quit giving her medication thinking that was the problem but that hasn't helped. She only had one more dose of antibiotics anyway and she was also prescribed cortisone for swelling which I also stopped. SHe seems to feel better not being on the medication but she just wont' eat. Does anyone know of any wet liquid cat formula out there that I can try to either force feed her or that she may try to lick on her own? I'm sorry for being so long winded I just wanted to get out all the information pertaining to my cat so that I could get the most accurate feedback regarding my case. Any advice would be most helpful!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My Cat was attacked and now won't eat- What can I do? - PHAbymom, Mon Nov 1 00:27:22 2004 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: My Cat was attacked and now won't eat- What can I do? - PHAbymom, Wed Nov 3 00:09:29 2004 image in post