return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Old cat on feeding tube please Help! (long)

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: smallone at Sun Jan 16 12:08:30 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by smallone ]  

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and it seems very good so I'm hoping someone can help me. My 15 year-old Katie was not eating for awhile due to stress (I think) and she was getting better (eating little bits of food every couple of hours and starting to play again, and still purring like the dickens) but she had lost quite a lot of weight. I don't really trust vets too much, but I took her to see one and they insisted that they needed to put an esophagol feeding tube in right away. They put it in yesterday morning.

It is the worst mistake I've ever made.Gone is my sweet old kitty and in her place is a grumpy kitty who can hardly move. I'd like to have the tube removed, but I know she wouldn't make it through another surgery so soon after this one so I'm trying to make do in the meantime. Please, does anyone have any experience with cats on these tubes? Do you know how long it takes them to get used to them? She's not vomitting the food, but she's not really moving and can barely get up to go to the washroom. The tube is supposed to allow her to eat on her own (as well as being fed through the tube) and is supposed to encourage her to start eating again, but she's going to her water and food dishes and just staring at them helplessly. She basically moves from under the bed to under the couch and that's it.

And I'd just like to say that, in my opinion, this surgery for an old cat just seems to have totally reduced her quality of life. I regret not having let her grow old happily and gracefully. Sorry about the length/melodrama of this post, I'm just getting a more than a tad upset about the state of my kitty that I love so much.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Old cat on feeding tube please Help! (long) - JaimeMarie, Sun Jan 16 14:10:21 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: Old cat on feeding tube please Help! (long) - PHMadameAlto, Sun Jan 16 19:14:32 2005 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Old cat on feeding tube please Help! (long) - smallone, Mon Jan 17 12:11:04 2005