return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Cat Vomits After Eating

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: littleangel77007 at Tue Jan 25 21:21:33 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by littleangel77007 ]  

I got a new cat from my friend about 2 months ago, and he had her for about 2 1/2 years before that. We're guessing she's 8-9 years old. Since I've had her, she often vomits right after eating. It's always food, and generally it looks almost like it did going in (i.e. whole pieces). And she's always hungry again right after vomiting. After talking to my friend, I found out she was doing this the whole time her had her too. He tried almost every brand of food on the market, and I've had her on Iams, then switched her to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach, but she doesn't readily keep any type of food down. She won't eat canned food, but we tried force-feeding lamb and rice, and she threw that up too. We also tried putting rocks in her bowl to slow her eating, but that had no effect either. I've found it helps if she only gets about 1/2 Tbsp. per feeding, but at that rate, she's hardly getting a third cup per day. And she always acts hungry. She's constantly begging for food and trying to get up on the counter where we keep the food bag. I feel very sorry for her!

I took her into work with me, (I work at an all-cat veterinary hospital) and we ran blood tests; everything came back normal. She's an oriental/American shorthair cross, and weighs just over 8.5 lbs., which the vet says is perfect for her, so her weight does not seem to be affected by this. We ran a fecal as well, and it was negative. (She, along with my two other cats, are indoor-only kitties.)

I'm going to try her on a few other foods (i/d for senstive stomachs, z/d for food allergies, and/or science diet hairball control, even though she does not seem to have hairballs). The vet also suggested that I might try her on Pepcid, and see if that helps. She has no diarrhea or other stool irregularity, but the vet said if nothing else, we can try medicating her for inflammatory bowel diseaese.

Has anyone else had this happen, or know what may be causing this. I feel very badly for her; it must be horrible to be constantly hungry! Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cat Vomits After Eating - PHAbymom, Wed Jan 26 00:00:42 2005 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Cat Vomits After Eating - abukuchick, Sun Jan 30 11:58:25 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: Cat Vomits After Eating - Mikadofa, Mon Jan 31 06:18:28 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: Cat Vomits After Eating - rodeo516, Thu Mar 11 21:27:59 2010