return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

not eating--poss renal failure- help!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jaywest at Wed Mar 16 10:28:50 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jaywest ]  

Hello,
I have a 17 year old cat named Ben, who has been in great health up until last week. Acting sluggish, drinking alot, just not being the social animal he is. I thought possible diabetes because of the way he was acting. They ran all sorts of tests and said that they think now it might be renal failure but not sure. They are giving him fluids. This started Monday. The doctor said there maybe a poss. infection going on in his body somewhere causing this. He appetite isn't good. They want him on a low/no protein diet. He is on A/D. I have tried the can and the hard food. I mist the dry food a little with water and put just a dab of oregano on it to try and perk it up per my vet. He seemed to be doing better and this am very happy and purring. He then started to walk and was very unsteady, probably weak. He didn't eat this am. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to get nourishment in him. The regular vet won't be there until tomorrow and don't have much faith in this one. I am wondering about asking them to put him on an IV fluid versus what they are doing now just sticking a needle under his skin and giving him the fluid. Also want to know if nourishment can be put into the IV to help strengthen him for now. His teeth have alot of tarter and gums are red, this might be the problem. We of course don't want to put him under anesthesia to clean them right now, but he needs to get stronger first. The other vet also mentioned doing some antibiotics also when she rechecks the blood tomorrow. I can't believe that they hadn't done a urinalysis until I asked them about it today. Don't have results yet... Please any suggestions.. thank you Lil

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: not eating--poss renal failure- help! - PHMadameAlto, Wed Mar 16 20:27:58 2005
>> Next Message:  Another renal failure/lack of eating case! - ponygal1129, Wed Mar 16 20:50:23 2005