return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

kitten distemper

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: debbchiap at Fri Apr 15 02:31:48 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by debbchiap ]  

I adopted two 8 week old kittens last Saturday from Animal Rescue. The male kitten began vomiting later that evening when I brought him home and wouldn't eat. When I called Animal Rescue, they told me it was his nerves from being in a new home. The female kitten was eating, but very little. I was supposed to take them to the local vet on Monday.

They were playful on Sunday, but by 4am Monday morning the male kitten wasn't able to stand and just kept flopping around and thrashing. I called the Emergency vet and they told me to give him maple syrup to get his blood sugar up. It didn't work, so I rushed him to the emergency vet 30 miles away. When I got him there, his temp was only 92* and he was dehydrated from vomiting. He died by 9am. They told me all his symptoms pointed to distemper. I went home and brought the female kitten to the local vet because she was not eating well, but was playful. They kept her there ovenight to bottle feed her since she was also dehydrated. By Tuesday, she was lethargic and unresponsive. She died on Wednesday morning. They also told me it was distemper due to her low white cell blood count. Neither kitten has an autopsy to confirm it.

When I spoke to Animal Rescue, they said none of the other kittens that were with mine has distemper and neither did the shelter. The kittens were in foster care before I got them and none of those animals had it either. My kittens were from two seperate litters and I'm wondering if it could be something else that killed them. I'm told distemper can stay active in my house for up to a year and the kids are upset they don't have any kittens and don't want to wait a year.

My husband thinks he saw the male and possibly the female kitten eat some lint balls from the carpet on Saturday. We have a brand new house and I don't know if there were any chemicals on the carpet before we moved in. Would the lint have something to do with their deaths more than the distemper? If I was able to get another kitten, would it be better to go through Animal rescue or to someone's cat who just had kittens and just wants to get rid of them? Both of my kittens were vaccinated and de-wormed. Thanks for any help or info..

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: kitten distemper - PHMadameAlto, Fri Apr 15 21:47:34 2005
>> Next Message:  RE: kitten distemper - AshleyElla, Fri Apr 15 23:35:44 2005