return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

17 yr old cat and eating problems

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: SqrlGrl at Sat Oct 1 19:33:04 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by SqrlGrl ]  

Hi All –

I’ll try to keep this short. I have a 17 yr old cat (yes, 17 – that is not a typo ) who I started feeding canned food about 9 – 10 months ago when I noticed she was losing weight, I thought she may not be eating enough as dry food may have been hurting her teeth. At first she would eat the food – then she started just licking the gravy off. I also noticed she would drink a lot of water and drag her bowl around the kitchen.

About four or five months ago I took her to the vet just for a routine checkup – the vet gave her a clean bill of health – no thyroid problems – only slight problem was her kidney function level is just slightly down and the vet said at that age it was to be expected. The vet was very impressed with her health and age. We asked about food and he said at that age feed her whatever she wants.

I kept her on the canned food until a couple of weeks after the vet visit she got the runs really bad – I mean three to four times a day I was cleaning up what didn’t make the litter box. After doing some research online about elderly cats and diet I decided to try the raw food – except I cook the meat and mix it with brown rice.

At first she would eat it all and I thought problem solved. Now she’s at the point where she is interested in what I cook for a day or two then turns her nose up at it. I have tried chicken, turkey and beef – she eats really well for a day or two then quits. She will treat dry food the same – eat on that for a day or two then quit. All she wants now is NutriCal and water – and she is still dragging her water bowl all around the kitchen.

She will also fall asleep with her head resting on the side of the water bowl. She will spend the day there only moving to go to her food bowl. Also - I mix in Missing Link with her food for supplements.

Anyone have any suggestions – I’m really at a loss on what she will eat. Currently I have three different dry foods – of good quality – and she won’t eat any of them. My other two cats have no problem eating that so it’s not going to waste.

Thanks
SqrlGrl

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 17 yr old cat and eating problems - PHKitkat, Sat Oct 1 22:10:19 2005