return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Please Help: Urgent

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sharffhr at Fri Dec 8 16:09:10 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sharffhr ]  

My 16 yr old cat over the course of a week has gradually stopped eating. We took her to the vet upon noticing that she was not eating her normal amount. She has been obese her entire life weighing 18 lbs, but when we took her to the vet on Mon (Dec 4th) she weighed 14 lbs, she has lost 4lbs since last April. We had a physical examination as well as blood work done on Mon and she had a temperature of(3.2), her white blood cell count was slightly elevated, but the vet said that her overall blood work and organ functioning was really well for her age. In fact, the vet was really amazed. The vet gave us an antibiotic (ammoxycycline)and Laxative (laxatone) to kill any infection and to help pass anything that may be blocked. She has not pooped since last Sunday and she has only been peeing about every 35 hours. She has hardly eaten any solid food since Monday and now she is only drinking tuna water. She is also not drinking very much water either. Her lack of interest in food and water is highly disturbing because she loved to eat and she has always required a lot of water. I am worried that the laxative given is not a good idea, since she hasn't eaten very much. So, we stopped the laxative a day ago, but we are still giving her the anitbiotic. She is losing weight, becoming weak,she is not as social as usual, when she sleeps she grunts and twitches, her coat is becoming dull, she often will avoid eye contact, but she is still trying to move around, she has not become lethargic. In fact, she went down the steps today and she also is still jumping off the bed and into her favorite chair. We had a urine test done today that showed that she had calcium oxalate in her urine. What do we do does she have bladder stones or kidney failure or both? Or could the bladder stones be a side affect of her kidney failure? The vet wants us to keep pushing tests and blood work and shots, but she is scared of strangers and foreign places, so I do not want to keep taking her to the vet over and over for fear that here social anxiety will kill her before an illness. We are very concerned...this cat is my baby and we feel so hopeless. I am afraid she does not have much time and if so I want to make her as comfortable as possible. Please, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Please Help: Urgent - PHAbymom, Fri Dec 8 18:44:17 2006 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Please Help: Urgent - PHKitkat, Fri Dec 8 18:47:59 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Please Help: Urgent - HollieTheMom, Fri Jan 19 09:32:31 2007