return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

New Cat Not Eating... When do I worry?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: morverncallar at Sat Mar 17 01:05:36 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by morverncallar ]  

I have never had a cat before, so some of the following may be no-brainer info.

A few days ago, we adopted a 4-year old cat from the shelter. She immediately went to be spayed and we took her home Wednesday night. She is very skinny and didn't eat anything that night, which we assumed was because she was nervous and had just undergone surgery.

Thursday, she ate a bit of dry food, and it looked like things were on the right track. Then today, which is Friday, she ate almost a whole can of wet food in the morning. Before she ate this, she was a little sneezy so I thought it was possible that she had an upper respiratory infection, since the vets had warned us that might happen. Then a few hours after she ate, she started vomiting. She basically has been throwing up all day, except that by now she doesn't have anything left in there so she just dry heaves. She did drink a fair amount of water this afternoon, which was a relief. The chain of events leads me to believe that she may be allergic to the wet food that we gave her, but I'm not sure.

Now, she isn't showing symptoms of a respiratory infection, but she refuses to eat. I don't know if this should concern me. It seems like she has a light appetite anyway (she only weighs about 7 lbs) and she's been sick all day so it kind of makes sense, but she has absolutely nothing in her stomach. We can take her to the vet tomorrow morning, but I don't know if that's necessary. Then on the other hand it makes me a little nervous, because if she gets worse then we have to wait until Monday.

For anyone who knows more about this than I do - should I be worrying? I don't know much about cats and their immune systems, but she's had such a rough few days and she's so little!!

Thanks for any words of wisdom...

Sally

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New Cat Not Eating... When do I worry? - PHKitkat, Sun Mar 18 00:30:26 2007