return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking for opinion on ultrasound findings

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cheesensweets at Thu Nov 6 14:48:40 2003  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cheesensweets ]  

Thank you for your kind response.

My cat went from 11 pounds in June to 8 pounds last week which prompted my taking him in to get checked. The place where I took him for the ultrasound is one of the best in New England (VESCONE). My veterinarian has been in practice for 23 years. When she told me of the ultrasound findings she said that the abdominocentesis or exploratory surgery would be a 95-98% way to get a “name” and I’d be putting my cat through a lot for just a name when the outcome is going to be the same. She also said that she doesn’t even know that she can get any fluid from his belly and if she couldn’t, she’d have to go right to exploratory surgery. Also, I don’t know if the masses within the mesentery can all be removed without some major complications. She also said that he is already sick (although sometimes he doesn’t look it) so why put him through all that. As mentioned, I did a ton of thinking and reading about the situation and came to the conclusion that I’d make him as happy as possible and not put him through all the poking and prodding he’d be subjected to. I don’t know if I have the heart, and if he has the strength, to go through surgery, possibly followed by chemo if it will only prolong and not cure. She told me to keep an eye on his eating and when he no longer eats then I’ll know it’s time. He is eating okay and I’ve been giving him Hills a/d and Nutrical.

I guess the nature of my posting was probably out of guilt that I feel by not doing the abdominocentesis. I’m certainly not doubting my vet but sometimes I’m in denial and feel like I need to hear from others that it’s “not good” and that I am doing the right thing. I feel like I am but certainly get my moments where I feel I could do more but…when I see my cat happy and purring at home, I want to leave him that way. For what it’s worth, I do plan on having post-mortem testing done since if it is FIP I need to know because I have two other cats. My vet doesn’t suspect that, however, as much as she suspects cancer.

I’m sorry if this message seems rambling. My mind has been going in circles since last week. I appreciate any further insight.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  How Can You Tell If A Cat Has Been Spayed? - bethj312, Thu Nov 6 11:21:38 2003
<< Previous topic:  Finicky cat and too much tuna - Vallen, Sun Aug 29 23:37:41 2010