return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Confusion about biochemical units

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Tilda at Tue May 10 05:41:14 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Tilda ]  

Hello again AshleyElla,

thank you again for asking your boss and offering to ask around. I'm glad to be able to tell you though that I was able to get an explanation from a pediatrician whom I knew a long time ago and whom I emailed on Monday out of a hunch. He replied and said that the two units are in fact the same thing. Out of some reason, Indians write '%' to indicate dl (decilitre), and 'mgm' stands for mg (milligram).

So this means that Tommy had indeed a glucose level of 324 mg/dl when we tested him two weeks ago. He also had a lower than normal WBC count and a lower than normal platelet count. Direct Bilirubin is a bit too high, as is the BUN of 56 mg/dl. Albumin is also a little too high. Any thoughts?

My vet now suggested a urine test in the lab since we get only negative readings with the Diastix. She also said that glucometers are available here and we could use that as well later on, when (and if) we establish that he has diabetes and need to monitor him frequently. I'm not sure what you mean by 'pricing some glucometers for me'. Were you thinking of shipping me one? That is so nice of you! My vet seemed to think though that doing a full blood test again after the urine test is better for now so we can compare all the biochemical and other blood values once more. I will let you know the results once we get them.

Btw, there are no animal hospitals here only daytime clinics with limited opening hours, we usually have the vet come to our home and all that can be done here, is done here at home. Also, right now we are not able to get any sterile urine jars and have to wait again for a couple of days. Yes, this is how it is in India. Things move slowly!

Nevertheless, I will post any updates and developments in this thread and am grateful for any comments from you!

Till then,
Tilda

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Confusion about biochemical units - Tilda, Fri May 13 02:46:24 2005

<< Previous Message:  RE: Confusion about biochemical units - AshleyElla, Mon May 9 17:40:05 2005