return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: nasal congestion

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wittykittytoo at Fri Oct 7 01:12:15 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wittykittytoo ]  

actually, i have used neosyneferin (sp?) and i have only used it in the "mild" formula and with great caution...for example, on an orphaned kitten who cannot nurse because it is too congested while i am waiting for the oral antibiotics to begin working.

this product (like with humans) can make a cat dependent on the product because nasal passages can quickly become swollen when the product is stopped...basically, like us, they can become addicted to it, not to mention that it has a strong propensity to dangerously increase the heart rate, especially in such a small body.

this is a very short sighted and very temporary solution (no more than 3 days - ONE DROP between the nostrils 3x a day for the first day, 2x a day for the second day and once on the third day). this is definately not your solution.

what are the antibiotics your vet has tried so far?

i have battled this same issue with several cats over the years (and indeed, it's always been associated with the herpes virus) and the thing that is currently working the best, after many, long antibiotic treatments with many different antibiotics is L Lyscine (sp?) which comes in pills, liquid and paste.

i strongly recommend the paste which can be obtained by your vet. and is administered with a syringe like applicator. it has to be done once daily (possibly for the rest of the cat's life), is an immune system booster and really helps.

if i hadn't seen it for myself, i wouldn't have believed it. it takes about a month to start working and i used it initially in conjunction with (my 4th antibiotic) doxicycline.

when the course of doxi was finished, i continued with the l lyscine and the cat has not had a remarkable incindent of congestion since...it's been about 4 months now.

the paste is preferable and actually very palatable for the cat. as a matter of fact, after the affected cat gets his l lyscine, all of the other cats try to lick his mouth because they want some too.

if your vet does not know where or how to get it, you can email me and i will give you the name of the company who makes it.

it is important that you start the supplement at the same time you start his next attempt at antibiotics because a month is a long time for your cat to wait for the supplement to work and the antibiotic may give him and the supplement a "leg up" on the congestive symptoms.

if you're going to try this, it is important that you give it to the cat religously, even after his symptoms seem to be in remission.

onewittykitty@yahoo.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: nasal congestion - wittykittytoo, Fri Oct 7 01:17:41 2005

<< Previous Message:  nasal congestion - nab219, Sun Oct 2 09:23:47 2005