return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: please help....respiratory virus?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Sun Sep 10 18:10:56 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi There,

It takes a vet to make a diagnosis, but I'll be happy to share some thoughts with you.

Obviously, there is more than one thing going on with your baby. The respiratory problems may indicate that your cat has feline herpes. This is often the case when cats have chronic URI of some kind. I have at least 2 cats with this condition. The third one with it seems to have grown out of it.

I would start giving L-Lysine, 1/4 of a 500mg tablet twice daily. This is totally safe and herpes cats will always respond to it. It's actually an amino acid so it's natural. You can get L-Lysine at any pharmacy. I got my bottle at WalMart and I give it in food, by crushing the 1/4 tablet with the back of a spoon.

This MAY really help with the respiratory problems.

Now, I think the 3 pound loss is due to something else. It's a tremendous weight for even a large cat to lose in a short time. If your cat is still jaundiced, he still has liver issues, if not, it could still be his liver, or almost anything else. If it were one of my kitties, the next step would be to have an ultrasound done, possibly with a needle biopsy of the liver done at the same time. If your baby continues to lose weight, he is going to be in trouble.

If you are still force-feeding, try strained meat baby food (with no onion added). You can feed baby food with a syringe right out of the jar.

Please keep us updated.

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: please help....respiratory virus? - PuddsKitty, Mon Sep 11 22:42:49 2006

<< Previous Message:  please help....respiratory virus? - PuddsKitty, Fri Sep 8 23:40:38 2006