return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: AHHH~!!! I got ringworms from my cat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kittyromeo at Thu Apr 5 06:43:10 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kittyromeo ]  

I do know of someone who did something similar. Basically she put the word out, telling everyone she knew. I first heard of it from a poster in the barn where she kept her horse. It's been years, but I think the cats went to a friend of a friend type of deal and she paid a monthly fee.

Could you negoiate with your parents for a compromise? Limited access for Tolui in the new home and you'll work to keep the allergens from invading the rest of the house? I'm seriously allergic too, but I manage to keep 3 cats. High end allergen trapping 3M filters on the heating/cooling system work wonders as well as HEPA filters and HEPA vacuums. You already bathe him once a month, which is great for reducing allergens and can be done up to once a week. Keeping everything washed makes life easier to breathe too. I just clean certain things on a weekly schedule to keep dander down. If you offered to pay for the upgrades and do the work (cleaning, keeping Tolui out of restricted areas)do you think you could strike a deal?

On another note, the allergiy drugs available today are worlds better than what we had 20 years ago, with far fewer side effects. Currently I'm paying $16 for a 300 day supply of OTC generic Loratadine (Claritin). It's a great drug.

One more thought - a cross country move is a huge undertaking when you're living in anything larger than a suitcase. Could part of their insistance be that moving Tolui would be too much time, money and hassle, esp. on top of the allergies? Where were you hoping to board Tolui CA or NY?

You need to prepare yourself for the possibility of not taking Tolui with you to CA which means as his mom, you need to find him a suitable new home. It's kitten season, the shelters are facing the yearly flood which strains the resources of many each spring. Some won't take in older cats - kittens are easier to adopt and it's not uncommon for their mothers to be left awaiting adoption for months after the last kitten is gone. So you need to do the footwork in finding Tolui a new home. Don't bother calling shelters, you're just one of hundreds calling this time of year - go visit them, put in some face time. You might be able to connect with a volunteer or foster mom who can help you work out a solution for Tolui either way - cat sitting or a new home.

Best of luck,

Elizabeth

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: AHHH~!!! I got ringworms from my cat - lovidentity, Thu Apr 5 09:57:54 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: AHHH~!!! I got ringworms from my cat - lovidentity, Wed Apr 4 23:37:58 2007