return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Diarrhea

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chatanuga at Tue Oct 9 11:46:33 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chatanuga ]  

Yesterday, I took Casey with me when I took Chessie for his followup echocardiogram. The reason for that was because a week before I'd taken Casey to get checked out at my regular vet, and Chessie went a bit crazy on him when we got home.

The whole time we were there, Casey seemed calm in his carrier while we waited on Chessie. We got home, and I discovered when getting the towel out of his carrier that he'd had an accident, doing a #2 in the carrier. He seemed okay, and what was in the carrier seemed normal other than the yellowish color. I made sure he was cleaned off, cleaned out the carrier, and everything seemed okay.

He fell asleep soon after getting home, which is always normal with Chessie, and I assumed it was normal for him too. While working on my computer after a couple hours, I saw him get up and go into the litterbox in the bathroom. That's when I knew something was wrong as he made a gassy/watery sound when going. I quickly went in and looked before he buried it, and it was definitely diarrhea. I helped him clean himself off, got him in his kennel, and called my vet. There was no blood, just the yellow watery stuff. They had me run the stuff down to their office so they could check it out. I got back home, and Casey had thrown up a little food in his kennel. I got him and the kennel cleaned up.

Since then, he's been doing fine. Later last night and this morning, he was bouncing with energy and eating and drinking normally. He hasn't had a #2 since yesterday so I'm not sure if the diarrhea has cleared up, but he hasn't vomited since.

I'm still waiting to hear from the vet (gonna call on my lunch break), but they agreed that it could have been stress related. He's only been with me 10 days now, and last week, he was obviously not happy with his trip to the vet. So, I'm thinking the trip with me and Chessie might have done it.

I also thought of something else that might have caused it. For about a month now, Chessie's been getting aspirin once every three days for his heart condition. I've basically been crushing his dosage into a powder and sprinkling it over half a pouch of Whiskas wet cat food. Sunday night, rather than store the other half for his next dosage, I gave the food (minus the aspirin) to Casey. This was the first time he's had wet cat food. Could that have possibly upset his stomach?
-----

Chessie in his favorite spot while I work in the kitchen.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Diarrhea - chatanuga, Tue Oct 9 12:12:32 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Diarrhea - Chatanuga, Wed Oct 10 22:30:56 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Diarrhea (UPDATE!) - Chatanuga, Sun Oct 28 11:44:06 2007