return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Very Serious Question About Pet Food

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kakel at Wed Apr 2 00:36:30 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kakel ]  

First please accept my condolences. Sonny's death must have been very dramatic and heartbreaking for you. I'm really sad for you right now.

Okay...this is weird and may have nothing to do with your problem but I thought I would mention it.

I have 2- 4 y/o sdf's both female I got at the same time from the same shelter. They are not related.

one cat has a condition called feline ensophallic (sp?) granuloma complex that kinda acts like an allergy but is not one. I guess you can say it's a bit more like an auto immune disease....but it's not really. Hard to describe). So anyhow....the only food that cat has been able to eat is Hills Science Diet ZD (allergy formula). If she eats anything else she has these growths (granulomas) that appear on her mouth. Her case is extreme and she is very sensitive and always breaking out so we have to keep her on a maintaience dose of prednisone just to keep her alive. If she's on her pred 90% of the time she's fat (because of the steroid) and happy...she breaks out occasionally but we watch her mouth daily as we give her pills and if she begins to break out we bring her dose up.

Just before Thanksgiving the sick cat's mouth began to break out badly and both cats began with pudding like diarrhea.

Around Thanksgiving one day my Husband who feeds the cats came to me and told me the cat food smelled different. I went to look at it. Not only did it smell different but it was also a darker color then it had been previously.

I contacted my vet right after the holiday weekend and they contacted Hills and Hills confirmed because of that earlier scare the had changed the formula of the food...different carbohydrates as I recall to some hydrolyzed (sp?) form.

Well it became obvious that was the reason both cats were ill...their food had been changed too quickly (it's a dry so we just feed it to both of them). Hill's sales rep for my vet admitted to me on the phone that the company did not notify any of the vets they supply. He said they did not feel it was a significant enough change and later realized cats would have upset stomachs from it when the reports began to come in.

Both of my cats have had some stomach upset since. The one who gets the granulomas still has stools that are on the soft side...no biggie...just a mess if she decides to scoot to clean herself. My biggest problem with the food is we have to be VERY careful with the sick cat and food...we can't just change her to another one because if we do we could set her off so badly we may not ever be able to get her under control again.

What was my healthy cat had the diarrhea and as soon as that cleared up she began vomiting every night. I was in constant contact with my vet over the situation. She was taken in and seen a different vet in the practice when the vomiting started and she put her on a med for her tummy and said she would probably be better after a week's run on that. Well she did get better while on the med but as soon as it ran out the vomiting began again.

This has gone on for a while...maybe 4 weeks or so...she looks otherwise totally healthy....she's the picture of health actually.
Well by last week my vet had had enough of this...he asked me to bring her in and asked if he could perform some tests. Blood work and an x-ray.

Friday after he took the x-ray he came back and announced she has perivascular cuffing.
I asked earlier if anyone knew what it was. I knew it was a heart disease.....but nothing more.
Well I've done more reading and I found out that what it is is a build up of lymphocytes (lymph cells....or another words the cells that are produced during an immune response) and these cells are beginning to encircle (and squeeze) one of her heart valves.

Now remember she had been in as soon as the vomiting started and there was no murmur at that time.....in about a month she has developed a (what the vet called) significant mummer. This is happening fast.

When I looked up the definition of perivascular cuffing it said in part "an accumulation of lymphocytes or plasma cells in a dense mass around the vessel. An indication of inflammation or of an immune reaction".

Now I'm not saying it's the food. I know it could be caused by almost anything she was exposed to that maybe her immune system didn't like......but I am extremely suspicious of the food.

The vet will call tomorrow with the results of her blood work. I intend to speak to him about this idea because I'm now worried about my other cat...you know the one who gets the granulomas....could she possibly have the same heart problem now from the food....I don't think so...she's not vomiting....but I really won't know till the vet examines her.

Your letter just kinda hit a nerve with me since it was the same company. I hope nothing is going on with the food....but I'm more suspicious after hearing your story.
Deb
-----
Deb
owned by Booger and Tiny Dancer and the mom of the late, great Kakel

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Very Serious Question About Pet Food - BlackHeartNY, Thu Mar 6 12:29:24 2008