return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Since Milohs death

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Fri May 16 19:23:54 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi Again,

Please accept my condolences on your loss of Miloh. He was just a baby and that makes the loss even more difficult.

Before I answer your questions, I'd like you to know that I am a vet tech and I might have different advice than other posters.

First of all, very few young cats get kidney failure so chances are that the ER vet thought that Miloh had something that he would just get over. This happens often in cats---they have a day or two days in which they are "off" in some way, then they bounce right back. Yes, bloodwork would have been helpful, but perhaps the vet just did not think that he was seriously ill. Now, if Miloh appeared very ill that night to the vet, and the vet just didn't want to bother with labwork, that would be something else. Or if the vet just wasn't listening to how worried you were----that would be wrong also. Labwork is an option that should almost always be offered when an animal is taken into the ER. After all, the owner is obviously very worried or they wouldn't have brought the pet in. If you really feel that the vet did you wrong, go ahead and write the letter.

As far as the bladder being distended or not, that is kind of a non-issue unless a cat is blocked. Cats with kidney failure typically drink a lot, have a big bladder and urinate a lot. If the cat has end-stage kidney failure, he or she would be severely dehydrated and the kidneys can actually shut down. In this case the bladder can be empty. I would have requested that a urinalysis be done, because cats in kidney failure have dilute urine. Concentrated urine indicates normal kidney fuction.

I have found that after losing a cat, one or more of the remaining cats pick up on some of their characteristics. I lost my baby Janine last week and my Ella has started sleeping in her spot on the bed, waking me up just like Janine did, and being more affectionate. I believe that somehow the deceased cat's spirit can "transfer" to another cat. This kind of thing has happened many times after I have experienced a loss.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and/or you are interested in attending a pet loss chat. We have one every night.

PHKitkat
PetSupport.net Site Coordinator

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Since Milohs death - ncat, Fri May 16 07:58:30 2008