return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: How important is 7 weeks with mom?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHKitkat at Wed Aug 1 16:47:50 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHKitkat ]  

Hi Ginny,

I sincerely hope that you will have your new babies for at least 18 years, but please remember that the average lifespan for an indoor cat is 15 years. I had one cat live to be 18, and one that lived to 19, and I have one now who is 17, but unfortunately, this doesn't happen as often as we would like.

Anyway, it's very true that it is best for kittens to be with their moms for at least 8 weeks. These days reputable breeders do not allow kittens to go to their new homes before 12 weeks. This may sound odd, but the extra time with mom really helps kittens to grow up to be well-adjusted cats. They learn how to be social with other cats, play with them, and learn (hopefully) good habits from mom. Of course, in many cases, this isn't possible.

I adopt according to need and take in cats and occasionally kittens that have special needs. They are all rescues of some kind or another and I only know the "family history" of one of my cats. I have never gone out to look for a cat or kitten, as they are very good at finding their way to me!

You can tell a lot about a kitten by observation and spending time with it. If I were going to pick from cats at a shelter first I would observe how they behave around other cats. Then approach the cage slowly and watch the kitten's reactions. A well adjusted kitten would tend to be friendly and happy, and purring non-stop. They come to the front of the cage immediately when they see someone there and stick their little paws out through the bars. Look for signs of good health, such as clean eyes and noses, and, if possible, watch the kittens eat to see how their appetites are.

I think the "worst-adjusted" kitties are the ones who are single kittens who lost their moms at a very early age. I adopted my Jonny Cat at only 4 weeks, and he has never been a very affectionate cat. Plus he is easily frightened and doesn't seem to know how to act around other cats. It's difficult for him to bond with me and the other cats, although there are a couple that he does better with. He can be unpredictable, too.

You are going to be a wonderful mom to your future kittens. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
PHKitkat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  How important is 7 weeks with mom? - ginnyj, Tue Jul 31 23:38:11 2007