return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: My New Tonkinese

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CarolEm&Ed at Fri Oct 21 14:01:05 2005  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CarolEm&Ed ]  

First of all, welcome to the Tonk board!

Your poor little guy has certainly been through more than his share of stress in his first few years of life. Tonks develop very strong bonds with their people and he's already lost two of them.

I'm guessing that the urination problem is a symptom of the stress and insecurity he is feeling. You might try adding another litter box in another location if you have one. Maybe that will help.

I can tell from your message that he is getting lots of love and attention from you, and that should help him adjust, too.

As for the odor, that has not been my experience with my neutered male, Eddie. The other thought that comes to my mind is that he may have a urinary infection. Don't know if that would explain the odor, but it would explain him going somewhere other than the litter box. When cats have a problem that causes urination to be painful they tend to go in other places, because they associate the litter box with the pain. I would suggest that you ask your vet if a urinalysis is in order.

Please do keep us posted and, again, welcome to this board and to the wonderful world of Tonkinese cats!!

Carol, Emily, & Eddie

>>Hi everyone,,,Glad I found this forum and hope someone can help me out here. My daughter recently moved to another state and I acquired her Tonkinese. I didn't even realize what I had until I took him to the vet. He is approx 4 years old and was owned by a friend of hers that then in turn after about 3 years gave him to my daughter and then now,,,I have him. So the poor thing has been passed from household to the next and I'm hoping he will adjust in his new household as we really love him. My question is,,,,I do have other cats which the Tonk is getting along with fine but when he goes in the litter box,,,,His urine seems to be so much stronger then other cats. Is this true with Tonks? Also he occasionally has been going just a little on bathroom rugs and kitchen rugs. Just enough of a spot that causes an odor and I have to wash. He has been spayed. Do you think this is a territory thing or what? Thanks so much for any advice on this.....

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  My New Tonkinese - honey1, Fri Oct 21 12:03:20 2005