return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Emily's anal glands

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cat Discussions ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CarolEm&Ed at Sat May 20 16:38:23 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CarolEm&Ed ]  

Thanks Yak,

Has Chris had any more problems? The vet suggested that I bring her in every couple months or so, just to check her out. Probably not a bad idea--I can combine it with her gingivitis checks.

My poor little girl--and she's such a little sweetie. (Well, except when I'm trying to give her meds.) She's so squirmy that I have to use topical stuff that I rub inside her ear--no getting pills or liquid in that little mouth. And then, I have to keep her away from Eddie because he tries to "help" by washing her ear out for her...

What's a mom to do?

Carol, Emily, & Eddie

>>Oh, poor Emily!!!
>>Chris had that problem, I think, about 3 years ago. I honestly thought he was dying; he was not eating, he hid under the bed, he didn't want to interact with us at all. I had absolutely NO idea what was wrong. One evening, I had decided to take him to the vet the next day and then really REALLY looked Chris over well and found this horribly swollen area on his buns. He had been licking a lot however at age 14 or 15, he had never had this problem so I had absolutely no experience with it.
>>When I got to the vet I was a total basket case. The receptionist asked me what was going on and I just broke down and sobbed. I kept saying, "Chris is sick, I don't know what's wrong, he's in horrible pain". Well, I'll tell you, that'll get one into an exam room in a hurry. Joanna came in immediately, diagnosed the problem, gave Chris a pain shot because he was in HORRIBLE pain, and they kept Chris until the next day, on and she "treated" me also by calming me down and telling me things would be OK. Of course his abscess had progressed to the point where they had to anesthetize him and do some work on the area. He came home in a plastic cone and with sort of a "hole" in his butt. It wasn't horrible.....well, maybe it was and I felt that I could almost see Chris's head through that little gland duct if I looked far enough. My poor babykins!! Chris is such a good boy, such a trouper! He was on antibiotics for about 10 days and healed very quickly.
>>I'll tell you one thing, nowadays, I occasionally go over Chris's entire furry body with a magnifying glass!
>>Carol, I'm SO glad you discovered Emily's problem in a timely manner so that all she needed was antibiotics.
>>
>>GET WELL SOON, EMILY!!
>>

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Memorial Day - CarolEm&Ed, Sat May 27 12:36:57 2006
<< Previous topic:  Strange Behavior / Potty Trained Cats - mskc, Fri May 12 20:40:03 2006